June 07, 2011

Liquidating Blockbuster

I met a homeless man named Jack and it was difficult not to stare at the hole in his face where an eye should have been. Jack was rummaging through a dumpster behind the Blockbuster Video I have worked at for the past few years, looking for day-old bread that had been discarded by the bakery next door. At the risk of overstating things, Epi Breads makes a dazzling assortment of sweet and savory breads, as well as one hell of an apricot cookie. Often times on my way to work I shake my pocket to see if I can hear the jingle of loose coins that will allow me to indulge my sweet tooth before a nine hour shift. As I filled the dumpster to capacity with perfectly functional remnants of my store, which is now being liquidated, I became overwhelmed by the enormous amount of waste that was accumulating in the receptacle. With just one eye, Jack had spotted a way to survive on the wasteful nature of commerce, yet he was the one feeling sorry for me and my pending unemployment.

It's been a long time coming, and comes as no surprise to many, but a large number of Blockbuster stores in Canada have been forced to liquidate their assets in order to pay for a debt that had been racked up by its American counterpart. After months of dodging the bullet, my location has now fallen victim to the times and will close its doors in less than two weeks. I never considered my job at Blockbuster a career, but rather a low stress day (and night) job that afforded me the ability to earn a living that did not require lugging home any proverbial baggage that would burden what I consider to be my actual career, writing. As a matter of fact, for the past few months I have been secretly excited at the prospect of being able to spend 40 hours a week with my notebook instead of copies of Cuba Gooding Jr.'s latest straight-to-video action flick. Yet now that the time has actually arrived, I'm surprised at the loss I've been feeling ever since posting an ugly red sign that proclaims "Nothing Held Back" on the front door.

Working at a video store is unlike most retail jobs in that you get to see the same faces over and over again who, for the most part, are interested in the opinions of the employees behind the counter. Rarely does a person stop and ask their grocery store clerk for a detailed review of the "new and improved" Bran Flakes.

"The flakes are the size of your fist! And, as a special bonus, they come with a coupon for Charmin!"

Yet at Blockbuster my opinions mattered to many and I would spend the majority of my day talking to customers about a variety of different movies. As a result, I had the privilege of getting to know my regulars in a very personal way. As with any relationship, mine with the general public developed gradually over time, but it's impossible not to care about a person when you see them two or three times a week and ask personal questions in order to come up with the perfect movie for their evening. In a small way, a part of me went home with these "strangers" whenever they made a $5 investment in one of my recommendations. Now that the store is in liquidation mode, it's become increasingly difficult for me to summon the energy to come to work because the part of the job I enjoyed most has suddenly been plucked from the equation.

Now when the door opens, I'm greeted with a pitiful look and then some variation of, "I'm sorry to hear the store is closing. Is everything 50% off?"

"Yes," I reply for the umpteenth time, with as much enthusiasm as I can muster.

"Even Pirates of the Caribbean?" And before I can reply, they've already managed to scoop up an armload of movies that will inevitably be dumped in a pile on the floor before they check-out.

I don't know what it is about the word "clearance" that turns people into animals, but for the past two weeks I've had to witness the store I've spent so many hours making presentable be ravaged by bargain hunters who leave trails of droppings in their wake. The first day of liquidation was the worst, as I found myself wading knee deep in DVD's that had been tossed on the floor and face-to-face with smug Blockbuster naysayers. The line of vultures was so long that I could not even make my way to the bathroom without a dozen inquiries for the whereabouts of Avatar or Not Without My Daughter starring Sally Field.

One customer (who I had never seen before) was so insistent that I find her a copy of The Secret that she refused to move until I located one. After pointing to the long line of people behind her and nearly wringing her saggy neck, I finally gave up and forged my way onto the sales floor. The documentary section looked like some sort of Iranian conflict had happened there, but I visualized myself finding the movie as I sifted through the rubble. It finally turned up behind a copy of Austin Powers and I proudly raced back to the desk as though I had just found Osama Bin Laden himself.

"This isn't Bluray," the lady barked as she hurled the disc into a cinematic black hole that had materialized behind the Pepsi cooler.

For someone who thrives on order, it was nearly impossible to leave the store looking like Joan Crawford's bathroom after the whole Comet incident. Yet I was so drained of energy and emotion that I locked the door behind me and, for the very first time, took home the stress I had so diligently been avoiding all these years. "It's just a job," I told myself before breaking down into tears. "And it will soon be over." That's when it hit me for the first time. It will soon be over. And I cried all over again, realizing the job that "meant nothing" to me actually meant a great deal.

For the next couple of weeks I can cope with the obnoxious customers who act like I'm in charge of a corporate flea market and say stupid things like, "I'll give you a buck for all the Twizzlers" or "how much for the open sign?" I can cope with these morons because of the cherished regulars who have come in amidst the chaos to bring me cups of coffee, boxes of cookies, sincere words of encouragement and more than enough hugs to get me through the day. It's safe to say I will not become nostalgic for shelving returns, filing daily reports or counting tills, but I'm already mourning the loss of what I consider to be my extended family because no matter what kind of day I was having, I was always genuinely happy to see them. And a part of me knows they were happy to see me, too.

It's just starting to sink in that I will no longer see Ms. Egalik on Monday afternoons. She revealed herself to me little by little over the years and I looked forward to our discussions because they were always entertaining and often enriching. I was enlightened by the intelligent conversations I had with Ms. Michaels, Mr. Halpern and Ms. Healy. Or what about my weekly visit with Mark and Maria and their adorable dog, Rocco? At precisely 6pm every Friday, the three of them would greet me at the door with a smile and leave with a box of Glossette almonds, two movies and a Milkbone. I cannot imagine a Saturday morning without Gina calling in to ask if I'd put aside a couple of horror movies, followed by a cheerful "thanks, hon!" Not to mention, unexpected ice cream parties with Leeanne on rainy summer evenings.

There's also Elaine, a beautiful and outgoing dynamo that came in nearly every day with such vivacity that it was impossible not to have your day brightened by her presence. And Christine, a cancer survivor whose determination to live each day to the fullest taught me everything I ever needed to know about facing challenges with grace and dignity. Alan and Andy, two men that have been together for over 50 years, not only made me appreciate the true meaning of forever, but also had the ability to sneak crude jokes into a transaction that would have me laughing harder than any movie you'd find on the shelf.

I watched as Lucas grew up before my very eyes, and was there when he welcomed his precious sister Sam into the world. Sam has the biggest blue eyes you've ever seen and is on her way to becoming quite the heart-breaker. Her mom is about as friendly as a person can get and makes macaroons so good that she could give Epi Breads a run for their money were she to open shop. And her husband has such a "good to know ya" attitude that it cannot help but rub off on those around him. Blockbuster may not have been good at keeping up with technology, but it has always been a family destination, and many families such as this one will miss it when it's gone.

How does one say "good-bye" to a customer? For all I know, they think I'm just being nice to them because I'm being paid to be nice to them. I hope they know, and I think most of them do, that it has been my honor to serve them and I am certainly a better person because of it. Yet I find it difficult to say these words, even when they come in bearing gifts or letters of reference. Have our relationships been fleeting ones that will mark this period of my life like an overturned corner of a cheap paperback? Or will I turn the page and find they are still there? I am both scared and excited about the next chapter in my life, knowing that I have what it takes to make it as a writer. Then again, without the daily interaction with others that I have enjoyed for so long, I worry I will no longer have anything to write about.

One by one, businesses along Bayview Avenue have been forced to shutter and their boarded over facades are a sad commentary on what our society has become. People are slowly devolving into portable electronic gadgets and I will have none of it. I refuse to board over my exterior and live my life as a series of mouse clicks. There is something grand to be said about being a member of a community and I will cherish my time spent at Blockbuster on the corner of Bayview and Millwood. My job may not have been "important," but based on the number of times I am stopped in line at the supermarket or hear the words "Hi, Bradley!" shouted from across the street, I know that in a small way I was an important member of the community. And so was the soon-to-be obsolete "little video store on the corner."

As one-eyed Jack straddled his bicycle with a bag of buns slung over his shoulder, he turned around and looked at me through a pair of cracked lenses. "Good luck, buddy," he said. "And don't work too hard."

"Thanks," I replied as he pedaled off into the distance. Under the blazing sun, I followed his advice and sat down on a milk crate to think about the eye opening experiences I've had at the store. I stared at the pile of remains in the dumpster and smiled for the first time since I put up the "Store Closing" banner out front. Blockbuster may be gone, but it will not soon be forgotten. And thanks to the people who made my job worth coming to each day, neither will I.

22 comments:

  1. kirsten porterJune 07, 2011

    Bradley that story was so beautiful it made me cry. I am sorry that this chapter in your life is closing and i am so excited that a new one is beginning for you. You are an amazing writer and an amazing blockbuster manager. I am glad that I got to share some of that chapter of your life with you. All the people you have come to know and who have gotten the chance to know you will surely remember the good old days of blockbuster and all that you contributed to their experience. Good Luck with your writing I know it's going to make you a household name one day. Miss You out west Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 07, 2011

    Brad, incredible story. And don't worry, if these people you have met thru your "Blockbuster Journey" feel even a fraction of the caring that you obviously feel for them, then I don't think that any of the "Supermarket Hello's" or coffee and snack visits are going to end any time soon! They'll just happen at more random times, and they'll be more heartfelt, and make you realize the sincere impact that you must have had on their lives as well! Feel Good! When one door closes, another opens!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AnonymousJune 08, 2011

    Brad, thank you so much for sharing this post. I know many people at different Blockbuster locations and have often wondered what mix of emotions they must be feeling as these changes are taking place. I used to manage a store myself, and could only wonder what it must've been like to see the store that you nutured and cared for be torn appart by strangers. Thanks to your great writing, I know feel like I have a small understanding. Thanks again for sharing, I look forward to reading more of your work! All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brad, I'm a good friend with one of your fellow Blockbuster Canada employees. The last a week or so has been an absolute storm of activity. She is just exhausted.

    I hope you make it through, though. Pulling for you.

    Good stuff, man.

    ReplyDelete
  5. lynette gJune 08, 2011

    Thank you for putting into words how most of the Blockbuster Employee's feel. We all feel like we are losing our family. thanks for the beautiful words :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousJune 08, 2011

    Hi Bradley,
    Your writing made me remember all the lovely memories that I had while working at the store and home office. I unfortunately was let go during the beginning of the recession. Blockbuster was truly one of the best work experiences a person could ever dream of having. Just know that everything will get better and that eventhough the future might be unknown, good things, wonderful things are bound to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. AnonymousJune 09, 2011

    You have a great future as a writer, Bradley. As I read your story, the words swirled in my head as if I had written them myself. I totally get what you are feeling and experiencing. This closing ordeal has been very difficult, and demoralizing on all the staff. Finding the strength to go on each day is fueled by knowing the end (though bittersweet) is near. BBV had been a great, fun place to work for many years, and it's hard to imagine being anywhere else. Change is frightening, but that is life. Best of luck to you, and please know we appreciate everything you've done for your customers and your employees. You set the bar high :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. AnonymousJune 10, 2011

    You definitely have an amazing writing career ahead of you! I was very moved by what you wrote and how you wrote it, i could imagine every little detail and felt like i was experiencing what you were. As one of the many of people that has come through the BBV clearance stores (have hit up quite a lot in the past two weeks) looking for deals, I always made sure that if i picked up something and didn't end up wanting it I would either put it back where i got it or would take it to the front so that it wasn't just thrown away into oblivion. I hope you find your path and walk it the way you want! Don't let anybody get you down and just keep your head held high through all of this as you will come out the better person in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  9. AnonymousJune 10, 2011

    Thank you for saying what I have been trying to articulate since this all started. My store has not hit the chopping block YET but am not convinced it won't happen. I work every Saturday and Sunday during the day so have made great bonds with so many of the kids that come in every week. 4 years of sheer pleasure! That makes me cry the most

    ReplyDelete
  10. Perfectly stated Bradley, it brought tears to my eyes. You touched on every emotion I feel as an employee of BBV right now. It's bittersweet for me though, since my store is closing, but I was one of the lucky few to receive a transfer to another store that won't be boarding up its doors.

    Best of luck to you. Your writing is something to be admired.

    ReplyDelete
  11. AnonymousJune 10, 2011

    I have been with blockbuster for five years and I could relate with everything you were saying. I feel the exact same way, I have forged these unforgettable relationships with customers and my fellow employees and am sad to leave it all behind. Best of luck and support from a BC Blockbuster :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. AnonymousJune 10, 2011

    Dear Brad,

    This has been such a poignant and true article. Thank you for taking the time to put your words out there-as they are very similar to what I am feeling right now as I contemplate looking for a new job in the middle of the land of inopportunity. Best of luck with your writing career.

    A soon to be former BBV employee.

    ReplyDelete
  13. AnonymousJune 12, 2011

    Bradley, I know exactly how you feel. I have been working for Blockbuster for 10 years, and even moved from Ontario to New Brunswick and now my store is closing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Brad,

    I worked at an independent movie rental place in Waterloo, which closed at the end of February and reading this post brought back so many memories and tears. I'm sad to see another video store clerk lose their job, I wish you the very best.

    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  15. AnonymousJune 14, 2011

    Hey Bradley,

    Thank you for this amazing story. I'm a Blockbuster manager who survived the cut, but only because my DM transferred me to my current store merely 5 days before the dreaded announcement one Friday of store closures which included my previous location, (Oak & 16th in Vancouver) a store I managed for the last 4 years.

    I can completely sympathize with you when I visited my store a couple of weeks ago and saw the amazing BSI section that I've personally built (an entire upstairs worth) being bookended on the new release wall awaiting their fate at 50% off $6.99. But, the most heartwarming thing was the amount of customers who offered me condolences to the store that I didn't even manage anymore during my 15 minute visit.

    As much as I am grateful to still be employed at the moment, part of me is actually really sad that I was not part of closing the store and not having the chance to say a proper goodbye to all my regular customers. It would have been a proper emotional closure for me to be able to have taken a final bow before the curtain dropped with my team of staff together. Sigh~

    Thanks again for this great read. It's inspiring me to write my own story for my blog about Oak & 16th. Good luck on your writing and all your future endeavours, Bradley.

    Cheers,
    Benny

    ReplyDelete
  16. AnonymousJune 14, 2011

    Simply amazing! You have conveyed the range of emotions that so many of us have felt since that fateful Friday beautifully. Enough cannot be said for the courage and perseverance it takes to close your store, and see all of your hard work destroyed in minutes. Truly, the most demoralizing part of this process has been the glee some have taken in Blockbuster's troubles. So many 'customers' not giving a single thought to how it feels for employees to hear the same nasty comments day in and day out. Thank goodness for our regulars who bring us stories, smiles and laughs every day and are helping us make it through each day.
    Best of luck to you, you are such a talented writer!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm a fellow SM, at a store where I feel like I dodged a bullet with my name on it. So sure in fact that my store was closing, I had two interviews set up for after we were told which stores were closing. "Oh well," I said "we will all move on and push through it until the end." Then that funny thing happened...our store didn't close. Imagine my surprise when my friends and co-workers at a store across town were the only ones to have to go through the same processes you were put through.

    So first thing I did was try to make room on my staff for anyone that wanted to come over. I talked to my present staff, I spoke to store managers and district managers...but we were still the same store as we were before. Bleeding out, weak, and desperate. How could we possibly provide an employee, thrown from their home store, any sense of security or calm? Much to my sadness, and embarassment, the employee decided to be laid off, rather than join my staff.

    Then I had my interviews. My staff put on strong faces when I told them I was looking for another job. This was a team I had held together with nothing but scotch tape and dreams, but we did it. Now I was leaving.

    I went to all my interviews. Wrote my emails. Went through the hell of job hunting.

    Then, there was a bite. Someone wanted me to become a manager at a highly successful franchise, pay me more than I was making at Blockbuster, better benefits, you name it.

    And I turned it down.

    I turned it down for all the incredible and perfect ideals and memories you wrote up above. I also did it for my staff. My friends (despite blockbuster policy against that word in relation to your staff). I did it because even though they were (and are) all looking to leave, all so desperately looking to get as far away from all this, all looking for the same sense of security that I was...

    ...they never did.

    I have not lost a single staff member because of Blockbuster Canada's financial problems. I haven't lost a single friend.

    There are real people behind every single retail counter in the world. I think we all forget that sometimes. Without my friends at Blockbuster, Blockbuster wouldn't mean a thing to anyone.

    Thank you Bradley, first time reader, and I feel like I've known you for years. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. AnonymousJune 15, 2011

    Bradley, your words brought out so much emotion I had yet to feel since the news came out those short weeks ago. I have been with Blockbuster for 7 years and recently took a Store Manager position at a neighbouring store. The move meant me leaving behind my loyal customers, my tenured SM, and my cherished staff. It was shortly after the move that we would all learn that my old store would be the only one in our district to close.

    There are no words I can use to express how perfect your post is. It was not until reading your post that I truly understood the loss I was feeling in my heart. Your exquisitely detailed account of life as a Blockbuster employee was written so precisely, I felt it could have been my story. I applaud your gift.

    Those of us that are left behind will not disappoint. We will not give up. They say we are in a dying industry and while that may be the inevitable future, I personally believe there is still a place for us. Not only a place, but a community still interested in the discussion of art and film with old friends or even a fresh face.

    To you Bradley, my friends at store #07081, and all of those who lost the jobs they loved, I wish you all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  19. AnonymousJune 15, 2011

    Nicely put. I walked away from this sinking ship well before the iceberg was even spotted. Even 10 years ago you could see the future of Blockbuster and stores like it. They refused to change with the times, and one of the only reasons it lasted this long was the relationships the employees made with so many customers.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thomas ReyesJuly 07, 2011

    Thank you for sharing with us your personal insights and experiences concerning Blockbuster Video. It truly is an end of an era where "real" people met their customer's needs in a "real' location. The cold age of technology has now supplanted the personal touch and now we are consigned to "virtual" reality. One can wonder where society will be 10 years down the road.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great article man. I worked at BB for 12 years and am an aspiring writer myself so I can relate to how you're feeling. I left BB just under 2 years ago. Many of my friends were there until the bitter end and are now unemployed. Even though I've been gone for a while it's awfully sad to see my old store being torn down now. I hope things are going well for you. I am now working a government job which I quite enjoy and I just finished my first screenplay. It's always been a dream of mine to get a movie made but if it happens it will be just a little less sweet knowing I can't rent it at a Blockbuster.

    ReplyDelete